Weekly Summary #8

Weekly Summary #8
March 5th- March 7th 
Meghan Taylor

     After wrapping up this week of lessons, I am more confident in my ability of working with my students and being a teacher in general.  I have gotten in the groove of writing the lessons and executing them the following day.  For me, it is easier to write the lessons either the weekend before (for Tuesday's lesson) or the night before (usually for Thursday's lesson).  I have now completed a solid 8 lessons with my students, and I am confident that they are progressing.
     I only had the chance to work with one of my students this week, but he is the one I am officially writing the project on, so this worked out.  My other student was out with lice.  I started to move up the pace of the different vowel sounds for CVC words.  On Tuesday, we worked with short 'i' CVC words.  On Thursday, we worked on short 'o' CVC words.  Although the pace was much faster, it is better this way.  I felt as though there was too much lag time between the vowel sounds and I was not going to be able to work with them on different concepts.
     Next week, I will finish up the short 'u' CVC words on Tuesday, and do more of a review day on Thursday encompassing all of the different vowel sounds for CVC words.  I am sure we will have to review these after the following two weeks of spring break, but it will be a good refreshing lesson after the break.
     In the CSS classroom, we have been working more one-on-one with the students.  They are all failing their Achieve lessons, and often not even reading the passages before trying to answer the questions.  Therefore, we have either been reading the passages with them, or having them read it aloud to us before answering the questions.  Their scores have improved so much this way, and now they are passing their lessons.  I hope that they will start to realize how important these skills will be when they take the FSA next month.

    

Comments