Weekly Summary #10

Weekly Summary #10
March 26th- March 28th 
Meghan Taylor

     Coming back after the two weeks of spring break went a lot more smoothly on myself than I imagined it to go.  Everything fell back into the swing of things, but my students were very confused as to why I was not there last week.  It definitely will be a sad day when they realize I will not be coming back during the month of May.  
     For my ninth lesson plan on Tuesday, I finished up working on the CVC words with my students.  We concluded the last lesson on them and wrapped up the short vowel sound 'o.'  Out of all the vowel sounds, 'a' and 'u' were the easiest for them to both decode and encode words.  There was a large mix up between 'e' and 'i,' but this is also a common mistake for many beginning readers.  I plan on reviewing CVC words in each lesson, as an ender to the lessons through letter tiles, but I will not be focusing on them anymore.
     For my tenth lesson plan on Thursday, I began working on blending sounds and digraphs.  I first introduced the main blends to my one student Kairi, as Aiden was absent, but we focused on the digraphs "sh," "ch," "th," and "wh."  These four digraphs are said to make up roughly 40% of words with digraphs in them, so they are the most important.  Kairi, like most children, mixed up "sh" and  "ch."  She also had more difficulty decoding the words that ended with the blend sounds, rather than those that began with them.  But, when we moved onto the guided reading aspect of the lesson, Kairi was excited to use her new knowledge on the digraphs and point out the words within the text.  
     I plan on working on more of the digraphs with short vowel sounds for next week lessons.  I chose to move onto this after the large focus on the CVC words because this is said to be the next step in beginning reading skills and mastery.  Both Kairi and Aiden scored low on these sections on the Phonics Survey, so my main objective is to further their understanding and ability to read and identify these types of words so they can have a improve in their progress.  
     In the CSS classroom, every day there is something new happening.  Ms. Price says how she tells her family about the things that happen on a daily basis in her classroom and no one believes her.  On Tuesday, one student climbed over ten feet up on the shelves and perched on an old TV until another teacher came and had to pull him down.  He came down kicking and screaming, but thankfully he was not harmed.  FSA testing starts next week for them, and no one is excited about the tests.  Many of the students just repeat throughout the day that they hate reading and hate the FSA, so next week will definitely be fun.  

Comments